AIRCRAFT RENTAL AND FLIGHT TRAINING AGREEMENT
We are very excited that you have chosen to fly with us! Before you can rent or train in one of our aircraft, you must complete this form and sign our rental agreement, release of liability, and flight training information and agreement. Please read, understand, and complete in its entirety.
SECTION I: PERSONAL INFORMATION AND CONTACT DATA
Name (Last, MI, First) :
NOTE: You must enter your name above exactly as it appears on official government issued IDs such as your passport or birth certificate
SECTION II: TSA SECURITY AND PRIVACY
Before being allowed to commence any flight training, ALL flight training students must either:
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship with a valid, unexpired U.S. Passport, or a U.S. Birth Certificate AND a valid, unexpired government issued photo ID.
- Obtain a TSA Category III security clearance via the TSA Flight Training Student Program (https://www.fts.tsa.dhs.gov/home) — TSA FTSP applications must indicate a “Permission to Initiate Training” status.
SECTION III: AERONAUTICAL EXPERIENCE DATA
SECTION IV: ENGLISH PROFICIENCY STATEMENT
I understand that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires that all pilot applicants be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language and that my English language skills must meet or exceed the FAA and ICAO minimum requirements. I also understand that if English is my second language, my flight training may take longer.
SECTION V: AIRCRAFT RENTAL AGREEMENT
The renting pilot is responsible for the safe and conscientious operation of the aircraft until it is returned and securely tied down at Santa Monica Flyers (SMF) facilities. The following company aircraft rental policies and conditions apply to every flight.
I, the renting pilot, agree to:
- Operate in accordance with all applicable FAA regulations.
- Not use the aircraft for flight instruction of any individual, unless I am authorized in writing to do so by Santa Monica Flyers.
- Land only at FAA-designated airports that are safe and suitable under the prevailing conditions.
- Not land at:
a. Non-paved or unimproved runways.
b. Runways shorter than 2,000 feet.
c. Catalina (KAVX) or Big Bear (L35) without first completing a checkout from SMF.
- Not authorize or allow any other person to operate or handle the aircraft.
- Not bring any pets or animals on board.
- Notify Santa Monica Flyers if I am unable to return the aircraft by the designated time for any reason. I understand that I will be subject to a late return fee of $200.00. If a subsequent reservation is affected, a fee equal to one hour of aircraft rental, and, if applicable, one hour of instructor time, will be charged in addition.
- Pay any landing fees, tie down fees, or any other charge incurred while the aircraft is in my possession (excluding fuel per  below).).
- Document any fuel purchases and provide an original receipt upon aircraft return. I understand the appropriate funds used to purchase fuel will be credited to my account.Advise SMF if fuel is less than full for aircraft designated as “dry” rentals prior to commencing the flight. If the airplane is returned with less than full fuel for aircraft designated as “dry” rentals, I agree to be billed for the amount of fuel required to fill the tanks at the current rate at KSMO. The amount of fuel will be determined by assessing the fuel gauges, fuel totalizer, visual inspection of the tanks, or combination thereof.
- Make any special fuel requests at least eight hours prior to the start of the reservation by contacting SMF Reception and/or noting in the reservation. Aircraft will be provided with full fuel unless a special fuel request is made.Report all accidents or incidents, whether major or minor, to SMF immediately, together with the names and addresses of witnesses and involved parties. In the event of an accident, I will not permit the aircraft to be moved unless expressly authorized by SMF or local, state, or federal authorities, and will exert best efforts to protect the aircraft and its equipment from further loss.
- Conduct a comprehensive preflight inspection, acquire a comprehensive pilot briefing, and acquaint myself with all relevant flight-related information. Prior to commencing the flight, I agree to verify the Hobbs Meter reading. I will promptly notify Reception of any Hobbs meter discrepancy prior to initiating the flight.
- Pay the cost of ferrying the aircraft if left at an airport other than Santa Monica Airport (KSMO) for any reason other than maintenance. This cost will include the Hobbs time required to fly an aircraft round trip to the airport of location, the Hobbs time to fly the aircraft I left at that other airport back to KSMO, and the time of the instructor(s) who facilitate the ferry.
- Not operate a SportCruiser into or at any airport with surface temperatures above 32 ℃ (89.6℉), however, a SportCruiser flight may terminate at KSMO even above those temperatures. I understand the SportCruiser fleet will be grounded, including flights with a CFI, if the KSMO surface temperature exceeds 32 ℃ (89.6℉) OR if the air temperature aloft over KSMO exceeds 35℃ (95℉) based on the LA Aviation Forecast Discussion/any other temperature reports.
- Remain current in each aircraft I fly in accordance with FARs and to have a recheck with an SMF instructor if I have not flown that make and model aircraft within the preceding three months at Santa Monica Flyers.
- Not participate in any charter/air-taxi/Part 135 operations. I understand SMF will not do so either.
- The following refund policy: A full refund will be given for any deposited, unused funds within 30 days of a written request. Refunds will not be issued for any deposits paid to SMF for flights canceled less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled time of the flight. Cancellation fees as specified in this agreement will be deducted from any refunds. Refunds will only be issued via check or wire (wire fees apply).
- Accept and abide by the following Cancellation/Late Policy, applicable to all reservations:
a. If I am unable to arrive for a scheduled reservation, I will notify SMF at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled time.
b. A reservation will be labeled as ‘no-show’ should any of the following occur:
I. Canceling of a scheduled reservation less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight.
II. Failing to arrive for a scheduled reservation.
III. Arriving more than 30 minutes late to a scheduled lesson.
c. The following cancellation fee(s) will be charged for any ‘no-show’ flight/lesson:
I. One hour aircraft rental rate for scheduled reservations three hours or less.
II. Two hours aircraft rental rate for scheduled reservations greater than three hours.
III. One hour instructor’s rate for scheduled instructor reservations three hours or less.
IV. Two hours instructor’s rate for scheduled instructor reservations greater than three hours.
- Accept and abide by the following minimum hours billed policy:
a. The ‘business day’ is defined as 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., seven days per week, including holidays.
b. Renters are limited to four hour reservations during the business day.
c. All overnight rentals and rentals in excess of four hours must be approved by the General Manager or Chief Flight Instructor and requested at least one week in advance.
I. Overnight rentals and rentals in excess of four hours will be billed the greater of half of the scheduled time (business hours) or the actual Hobbs hours flown.
II. Example: Reservation from Thursday at 1:00pm to Saturday 1:00pm
d. All approved overnight rentals and rentals in excess of four hours must be prepaid in the amount of the minimum billed hours, as noted in (ii) above.
- Reserved hours during ‘business hours’ are four (1:00pm - 5:00pm) on Thursday, eight on Friday (9:00am - 5:00pm), and four on Saturday (9:00am - 1:00pm), totaling 16 scheduled business hours
- Half of the scheduled 16 business hours, i.e. eight, would be the minimum billed hours for this flight
- Not perform or authorize any repairs or adjustments, nor make any purchase in relation to the aircraft, without prior authorization from SMF.
- Accept liability and pay for any damage to the aircraft while in my possession, including the cost of parts and labor. This may include battery replacement as a result of switches left on.
- Notify SMF staff, (phone 310-800-8050), or email [email protected] about any damage I discover or cause to a SMF airplane. I do not need to notify for already-known damage per the aircraft’s dings/dents sheet or squawk list.
- Not smoke, vape, or consume alcohol, nor permit passengers to do so, in the aircraft. If I, or my passengers, smoke, vape, or consume alcohol in any SMF aircraft, I will no longer be allowed to rent and/or continue flight training at SMF, and agree to pay a $250 cleaning fee.
- Provide personal identification as requested by Santa Monica Flyers including, but not limited to, government-issued photo ID, pilot certificate, and passport.
- Be subject to background check and pay any associated fees as required by the FAA.
- Maintain aircraft security and cleanliness by following checklists and properly securing aircraft after every flight (including, but not limited to, ensuring electrical switches OFF and control lock, chocks, and tie-downs secured) and removing trash from the aircraft. I agree to pay a $50.00 cleaning/securing fee if the aircraft is not properly secured or cleaned per this item.
- Pay for the replacement of any tires due to pilot error (e.g. excessive brakes applied) during landing or takeoff, including the cost of labor, even if I am unaware of causing the damage. I will be held liable for tire damage if I return an aircraft with bald spots on any tire(s). I must advise SMF of any existing tire damage prior to my use of the aircraft.
- Maintain current and valid renter’s insurance to cover myself and SMF per the SMF fleet insurance policy and any loss of revenue with minimums as follows: $1,000,000 per occurrence and $10,000 for damage to non-owned aircraft.
SECTION VI: LIABILITY RELEASE AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT
I, , hereby affirm that I am aware that flying and activities associated with flying have inherent and unforeseeable risks which may result in serious injury or death. I understand and agree that neither my instructor nor SMF, nor any of their respective employees, managers, officers, agents, contractors, or assigns (hereafter referred to as “Released Parties”) may be held liable or responsible in any way for any injury, death, or other damages to me, my family, estate, heirs, or assigns that may occur as a result of my participation in flying aircraft, flying in aircraft, flight instruction, aircraft rental, aircraft operations, ramp operations, or any associated activities (hereafter referred to as “Flight Activities”), or as a result of negligence of any party, including the Released Parties, whether passive or active.
I hereby personally assume all risks of these Flight Activities, whether foreseen or unforeseen. I further release, exempt, and hold harmless the Released Parties from any claim or lawsuit by me, my family, estate, heirs, or assigns, arising out of my participation in Flight Activities including both claims arising during any course of training or after I obtain any pilot certification(s) or ratings.
I also understand that Flight Activities are physically demanding and that I must seek the ongoing care of a licensed and authorized Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) as necessary and that I will not hold Released Parties responsible for events resulting from my physical condition, limitations, or incapacitation.
I further state that I am of lawful age and legally competent to sign this liability release or that I have acquired the written consent of my parent or guardian.
I understand the terms herein are contractual and not merely recital, and that I have signed this document of my own free will and with the knowledge that I hereby waive my legal rights. I further agree if any provisions of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision may be severed from this agreement and that the remainder of this agreement shall then be construed as though the unenforceable provision had never been contained therein.
I, BY THIS INSTRUMENT AGREE TO EXEMPT AND RELEASE MY INSTRUCTORS, SANTA MONICA FLYERS, AND ALL RELATED ENTITIES AS DEFINED ABOVE FROM ALL LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER FOR PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR WRONGFUL DEATH HOWEVER CAUSED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, WHETHER PASSIVE OR ACTIVE.
SECTION VII: FLIGHT TRAINING INFORMATION AND AGREEMENT
As a flight training student, I understand and agree to the following SMF policies, conditions, and information:
1. I will not be permitted to commence flight training until I have provided:
a. A U.S. Passport, or U.S. Birth Certificate and valid government issued Photo ID; or
b. Evidence that I have been granted “Permission to Commence Flight Training” by the TSA Flight Training Student Program (FTSP).
2. In the interest of safety, SMF instructors, managers, and/or front desk staff will cancel any flights due to unsafe weather conditions, unsafe maintenance issues, or relevant NOTAMs to include TFRs and SIGMETS.
3. I will commit to one flight instructor, with the exception of the temporary absence of my primary flight instructor, stage checks, or if, for any reason, my flight instructor assigns me to another flight instructor.
4. SMF will not grant any request to switch to another aircraft if it means altering the reservation of another student/renter, unless it is for my checkride.
5. To meet student training needs, aircraft maintenance requirements, maintain aircraft scheduling efficiency, or any other SMF operational needs, I may be switched to another appropriate aircraft other than the one I originally reserved, without prior notice.
6. I will reserve a variety of individual aircraft (within the “type” I originally designated for my training), so that any aircraft changes will not negatively impact my training.
7. If weather does not permit a flight, that time may be used to complete ground school. I will always come prepared to do at least 1 hour of ground school by studying as prescribed.
8. Solo students will not
be allowed to fly without written (SMS text message) instructor authorization no more than 2 hours prior to a flight. Substitute instructors may only be designated by the student’s primary instructor to provide these solo flight authorizations.
9. To comply with Section V, #18 of this agreement (Cancellation Policy), if weather permits our flight, I will fly with my instructor during reservations that include an aircraft.
10. I will provide a completed, signed credit card authorization form and I will update my credit card should the one on file expire. My credit card on file will ONLY be charged to settle any outstanding balances, after 30 days.
11. I will pay for any reservation after it is completed prior to leaving the flight school.
12. A block rate is offered for any check or cash payments for 10 aircraft hours that are deposited into my account.
a. These funds can be used to pay for all flight training expenses including but not limited to instructor time, aircraft rental time, landing fees, and flight training supplies.
b. Block rates will only be offered for SMF-owned aircraft (i.e. Sportcruisers).
c. Block rates will not be offered for any payments made by credit or debit cards.
d. Once block-rate funds are used, regular non-discounted rates will apply.
e. After each reservation I will process my reservation payment with the front desk to confirm remaining block-rate funds on my account and pay any difference owed if block-rate funds have been depleted. If I do not pay the difference, my credit card on file will automatically be charged.
13. Balances due must be paid before any flight training/rental reservation can begin.
14. Fees for checkrides and written tests are charged by FAA-designated examiners and test facilities and will be separate from any flight training costs incurred by SMF.
15. The total cost and time of my flight training cannot be guaranteed and will depend on the following factors, that are not under SMF or instructor control, which include, but are not limited to:
b. Natural ability
c. Critical thinking skills
d. Approach to learning
e. Commitment to home study and intellectual curiosity
f. Frequency of lessons
16. Aircraft rental and instructor rates are subject to change.
17. Instructor availability is subject to change.
18. I may cancel my flight training at SMF at any time without any consequence except those cancellation and refund policies described herein.
19. My flight instructor or management may cancel my flight training at SMF at any time, for any reason.
Student/Renter Printed Name:
Parent or Guardian’s signature (if applicable):