AIRCRAFT RENTAL AND FLIGHT TRAINING AGREEMENT
We are very excited that you have chosen to fly with us! Before you can rent or train in one of our aircraft, you must complete this form and sign our rental agreement, release of liability, and flight training information and agreement. Please read, understand, and complete in its entirety.
SECTION I: PERSONAL INFORMATION AND CONTACT DATA
Name (Last, MI, First) :
NOTE: You must enter your name above exactly as it appears on official government issued IDs such as your passport or birth certificate
SECTION II: TSA SECURITY AND PRIVACY
Before being allowed to commence any flight training, ALL flight training students must either:
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship with a valid, unexpired U.S. Passport, or a U.S. Birth Certificate AND a valid, unexpired government issued photo ID.
- Obtain a TSA Category III security clearance via the TSA Flight Training Student Program (https://www.fts.tsa.dhs.gov/home) — TSA FTSP applications must indicate a “Permission to Initiate Training” status.
SECTION III: AERONAUTICAL EXPERIENCE DATA
SECTION IV: ENGLISH PROFICIENCY STATEMENT
I understand that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires that all pilot applicants be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language and that my English language skills must meet or exceed the FAA and ICAO minimum requirements. I also understand that if English is my second language, my flight training may take longer.
SECTION V: AIRCRAFT RENTAL AGREEMENT
The renting pilot is responsible for the safe and conscientious operation of the aircraft until it is returned and securely tied down at Santa Monica Flyers (SMF) facilities. The following company aircraft rental policies and conditions apply to every flight.
I, the renting pilot, agree to:
1. Operate in accordance with all applicable FAA regulations.
2. Not use the aircraft for flight instruction of any individual, unless I am authorized in writing to do so by SMF.
3. Land only at FAA designated airports that are safe and suitable under the prevailing conditions.
4. Not land at any:
a. Non-paved or unimproved runways.
b. Runways shorter than 2,000 feet.
c. Catalina (KAVX) or Big Bear (L35), without first completing a checkout from SMF.
5. Abide by authorized air routes and procedures, and not perform the Low-Level Transition into the South Downwind over the Santa Monica Pier.
6. Not authorize or allow any other person to operate or handle the aircraft.
7. Not bring any pets or animals on board.
8. Notify SMF if I am unable to return the aircraft at the agreed time for any reason.
9. Pay any landing fees, tie down fees, or any other charge incurred by me while the aircraft is in my possession (this does not include fuel, see policy below).
10. This fuel reimbursement policy: should I need to purchase fuel for the aircraft, the appropriate funds used will be credited to my account. I understand that all purchases must be documented with an original receipt at the time the aircraft is returned.
11. Report all accidents or incidents, whether they are major or minor, to SMF immediately, together with the names and addresses of witnesses and involved parties. In the event of an accident I will not permit the aircraft to be moved unless expressly authorized by SMF or local, state, or federal authorities and will do all that I can to protect the aircraft and its equipment from further loss.
12. Check the Hobbs Meter prior to starting the flight. Should the starting time not match the aircraft dispatch book, I will bring this to the attention of the front desk before starting the flight.
13. Pay the cost of ferrying the aircraft if left at an airport other than Santa Monica Airport (KSMO) for any reason other than maintenance that is out of my control.
14. Obtain a complete pilot briefing and become familiar with all available information concerning any flight.
15. Remain current in each aircraft I fly in accordance with FAR’s and to have a recheck with an SMF instructor if I have not flown that make and model aircraft within the preceding 6 months.
16. Not participate in any charter/air-taxi/Part 135 operations. I understand SMF will not do so either.
17. The following refund policy: A full refund will be given for any deposited, unused funds within 30 days of a written request. Refunds will not be issued for any deposits paid to SMF for flights which were canceled less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled time of the flight. Cancellation fees specified in this agreement will be subtracted before any refunds are issued. Refunds will only be issued via check or wire (wire fees apply).
18. Accept and abide by the following Cancellation/Late Policy to any reservations (ground lessons and/or flight or rental reservations):
a. If I am unable to arrive for a scheduled reservation, I will notify SMF at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight time.
b. The reservation will be labeled as ‘no-show’ should any of the following occur:
I. Cancellation of a scheduled reservation less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight.
II. Failing to arrive for a scheduled reservation.
III. Arriving more than 30 minutes late after a scheduled lesson.
c. The following cancellation fee(s) will be paid for any ‘no-show’ flight/lesson:
I. One hour standard aircraft rental rate for scheduled reservations 3 hours or less.
II. Two hours standard aircraft rental rate for scheduled reservations greater than 3 hours.
III. One hour instructor’s rate for scheduled instructor reservations 3 hours or less.
IV. Two hours instructor’s rate for scheduled instructor reservations greater than 3 hours.
19. The following Minimum Hours Billed Policy:
a. The ‘business day’ is defined by SMF as 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., 7 days per week, including holidays.
b. Renters are each limited to 4-hour reservations during the business day, unless otherwise approved by management at least 1 week in advance.
c. Maximum total renter reservations will be limited to 12 hours per day (during business hours) per group of aircraft (Sportcruiser, Cessna, Cirrus, respectively) on a first come, first served basis. SMF will notify the renter at least 48 hours in advance and reserves the right to cancel or reschedule renter reservations that exceed the maximum hours for that aircraft group for that day.
d. For overnight rentals, half of the scheduled time (during business hours) will be billed, unless the Hobbs hours exceed this amount, at which point the actual Hobbs hours will be billed.
I. Ex. Reservation from Thursday at 1:00pm to Saturday at 1:00pm.
1. Reserved hours during ‘business hours’ are 4 hours (1:00pm - 5:00pm) on Thursday, 8 hours on Friday (9:00am - 5:00pm), and 4 hours on Saturday (9:00am - 1:00pm), totaling 16 scheduled hours, half of which would be the minimum billed hours, so 8 hours would be billed for this flight.
e. I understand only Management may waive this policy, and will only do so on a case-by-case basis, by the sole judgment of SMF management, based on factors including but not limited to, student and renter demand, and only by written/emailed request at least 7 days prior to the scheduled reservation.
20. Not perform or authorize any repairs or adjustments, nor make any purchase in relation to the aircraft without prior authorization from SMF management.
21. Accept liability and pay for any damage to the aircraft while in my possession.
22. Not smoke or consume alcohol in the aircraft, including all passengers. If I smoke or drink in any SMF aircraft, I will no longer be allowed to rent and/or continue flight training at SMF and agree to pay a $250 cleanup fee.
23. Provide all necessary personal identification as requested by the front desk including, but not limited to, government issued photo ID, pilot certificate, and passport.
24. Be subject to any background check and associated fees as required by the FAA.
25. Maintain aircraft security and cleanliness by following checklists and properly securing aircraft after every flight (electrical switches OFF, control-lock secured, tie-downs secured, doors locked, chock secured) and removing trash from the aircraft after each flight. I agree to pay a $50.00 clean-up/secure fee if aircraft are not properly secured or cleaned per this item.
26. Pay for any tires that need to be replaced due to pilot error (brakes applied) during landing or takeoff, including the cost of labor (a tire replacement is about $400).
27. Obtain renter’s insurance to cover me and SMF against the flight school’s fleet insurance policy and any loss of revenue with minimums as follows: $1,000,000 per occurrence and $10,000 for damage to non-owned aircraft.
SECTION VI: LIABILITY RELEASE AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT
I, , hereby affirm that I am aware that flying and activities associated with flying have inherent and unforeseeable risks which may result in serious injury or death. I understand and agree that neither my instructor nor SMF, nor any of their respective employees, managers, officers, agents, contractors, or assigns (hereafter referred to as “Released Parties”) may be held liable or responsible in any way for any injury, death, or other damages to me, my family, estate, heirs, or assigns that may occur as a result of my participation in flying aircraft, flying in aircraft, flight instruction, aircraft rental, aircraft operations, ramp operations, or any associated activities (hereafter referred to as “Flight Activities”), or as a result of negligence of any party, including the Released Parties, whether passive or active.
I hereby personally assume all risks of these Flight Activities, whether foreseen or unforeseen. I further release, exempt, and hold harmless the Released Parties from any claim or lawsuit by me, my family, estate, heirs, or assigns, arising out of my participation in Flight Activities including both claims arising during any course of training or after I obtain any pilot certification(s) or ratings.
I also understand that Flight Activities are physically demanding and that I must seek the ongoing care of a licensed and authorized Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) as necessary and that I will not hold Released Parties responsible for events resulting from my physical condition, limitations, or incapacitation.
I further state that I am of lawful age and legally competent to sign this liability release or that I have acquired the written consent of my parent or guardian.
I understand the terms herein are contractual and not merely recital, and that I have signed this document of my own free will and with the knowledge that I hereby waive my legal rights. I further agree if any provisions of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision may be severed from this agreement and that the remainder of this agreement shall then be construed as though the unenforceable provision had never been contained therein.
I, BY THIS INSTRUMENT AGREE TO EXEMPT AND RELEASE MY INSTRUCTORS, SANTA MONICA FLYERS, AND ALL RELATED ENTITIES AS DEFINED ABOVE FROM ALL LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER FOR PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR WRONGFUL DEATH HOWEVER CAUSED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, WHETHER PASSIVE OR ACTIVE.
SECTION VII: FLIGHT TRAINING INFORMATION AND AGREEMENT
As a flight training student, I understand and agree to the following SMF policies, conditions, and information:
1. I will not be permitted to commence flight training until I have provided:
a. A U.S. Passport, or U.S. Birth Certificate and valid government issued Photo ID; or
b. Evidence that I have been granted “Permission to Commence Flight Training” by the TSA Flight Training Student Program (FTSP).
2. In the interest of safety, SMF instructors, managers, and/or front desk staff will cancel any flights due to unsafe weather conditions, unsafe maintenance issues, or relevant NOTAMs to include TFRs and SIGMETS.
3. I will commit to one flight instructor, with the exception of the temporary absence of my primary flight instructor, stage checks, or if, for any reason, my flight instructor assigns me to another flight instructor.
4. SMF will not grant any request to switch to another aircraft if it means altering the reservation of another student/renter, unless it is for my checkride.
5. To meet student training needs, aircraft maintenance requirements, maintain aircraft scheduling efficiency, or any other SMF operational needs, I may be switched to another appropriate aircraft other than the one I originally reserved, without prior notice.
6. I will reserve a variety of individual aircraft (within the “type” I originally designated for my training), so that any aircraft changes will not negatively impact my training.
7. If weather does not permit a flight, that time may be used to complete ground school. I will always come prepared to do at least 1 hour of ground school by studying as prescribed.
8. Solo students will not be allowed to fly without written (SMS text message) instructor authorization no more than 2 hours prior to a flight. Substitute instructors may only be designated by the student’s primary instructor to provide these solo flight authorizations.
9. To comply with Section V, #18 of this agreement (Cancellation Policy), if weather permits our flight, I will fly with my instructor during reservations that include an aircraft.
10. I will provide a completed, signed credit card authorization form and I will update my credit card should the one on file expire.
11. I will pay for any reservation after it is completed prior to leaving the flight school.
12. My credit card on file will automatically be charged if I leave the school without paying with another payment method.
13. A block rate is offered for any check or cash payments for 10 aircraft hours that are deposited into my account.
a. These funds can be used to pay for all flight training expenses including but not limited to instructor time, aircraft rental time, landing fees, and flight training supplies.
b. Block rates will only be offered for SMF-owned aircraft (i.e. Sportcruisers).
c. Block rates will not be offered for any payments made by credit or debit cards.
d. Once block-rate funds are used, regular non-discounted rates will apply.
e. After each reservation I will process my reservation payment with the front desk to confirm remaining block-rate funds on my account and pay any difference owed if block-rate funds have been depleted. If I do not pay the difference, my credit card on file will automatically be charged.
14. Balances due must be paid before any flight training/rental reservation can begin.
15. Fees for checkrides and written tests are charged by FAA-designated examiners and test facilities and will be separate from any flight training costs incurred by SMF.
16. The total cost and time of my flight training cannot be guaranteed and will depend on the following factors, that are not under SMF or instructor control, which include, but are not limited to:
b. Natural ability
c. Critical thinking skills
d. Approach to learning
e. Commitment to home study and intellectual curiosity
f. Frequency of lessons
17. Aircraft rental and instructor rates are subject to change.
18. Instructor availability is subject to change.
19. I may cancel my flight training at SMF at any time without any consequence except those cancellation and refund policies described herein.
20. My flight instructor or management may cancel my flight training at SMF at any time, for any reason.
Student/Renter Printed Name:
Parent or Guardian’s signature (if applicable):